Monday, January 5, 2009

INSPIRATION

So, we are one week in... how do you feel?  I have heard many great responses verbally.  If you registered for the bender, you should be able to log on an write bender entries, now.  If you have questions, email info@southtownyoga.com.

The theme of this week is INSPIRATION.  What inspires you?  Why do you come back to your mat, time and time again?  Give meaning to your practice.  Look to those you admire and see how they operate.  Talk to friends.  Ask your family.  Find out what makes this all worth it.  Don't live your life on default.  Be inspired.  Go after your dreams.  Live your life by doing things on purpose.

We are lucky.  There are so many people, natural surroundings and theories to look to for inspiration.  Within your yoga practice, look for something you aspire to work toward.  Whether that is a yoga pose or a state of being, identify something to put your efforts toward.  Make this worth it to you.  Every time you come to your mat, open your mouth to speak or choose how to react to a situation.... come back to what inspires you.  

For me, I get so much inspiration from my great teachers.  I feel so grateful to have the knowledge and experience gained from so many skilled teachers.  They have taught me that dedication and continued learning will take you to your utmost potential.  Last fall, at the Anusara Grand Gathering in Estes Park, I was surrounded by so many great beings (including great teachers).  I was overwhelmed with joy and excitement while learning and interacting with who I consider the best teachers in our country.  A few months later, I came across the video of the making of the Anusara syllabus poster featuring the great Darren Rhodes.  I watch this clip over and over again.  The control, the strength, the commitment to his practice.... its all very inspiring to me.  

There is no right or wrong answer to the question, "What inspires you?"  Just make sure you take the time to stop and think about what that means for you.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of things inspire me and a lot others do the exact opposite. This is going to start off a bit rough, but at the end should feel good...haha...I hope :)

    One of our clients at my office just launched a social media platform where people say what their resolutions were and then upload a photo - by the end of the month, the thumbnails of each person will be brought together to unveil someone famous who is participating. All of that aside, I signed up and then realized I didn't make a resolution and I almost never do. BUT...I did put down that I would do yoga every day, even if it's for five minutes; that I would drink more water and, being in the middle of Michael Pollen's book The Omnivore's Dilemma, I will eat more veggies and fruit. Lastly, I paraphrased a quote from Ghandi that the only people who make you feel bad are those that you give permission too. Accomplishing all of this won't be easy - especially for someone who "doesn't make resolutions", but came up with more than one.


    So...to wrap this up, my inspiration these days are those who have the courage to go through life knowing it's ok to make mistakes, but to learn from them; those who set aside differences and have the ability to not waver back to their old habits of judging, etc.

    Those that inspire are the people I see at STY on a weekly basis. Each person has their own strength - unbound happiness, ability to get into poses I could only dream of, quirky humor and an openness to fall flat on their faces, but get back up and try it again.

    You go girls...and, er, boys.

    ReplyDelete