Saturday, January 10, 2009

Inspiration

I have to say that I owe my love of yoga to my friend Jeanne (who is also doing the 30 day bender). She kept asking me to come to yoga with her and I repeatedly said no because I'm not flexible and I'm not strong. I was truly terrified. After a particularly frustrating day, she put her foot down and told me I was going to yoga with her. With much fear, I attended my first class, and I can honestly say it has changed my life. Not only am I stronger physically, but also I can't believe the emotional impact it has had on me. I am a perfectionist in every area of my life--I like to do things well and be the best in everything. When I started yoga, I was afraid that I would fall into the trap of wanting to do a perfect headstand or trying to "perfect" a pose that was too difficult for me. But what has been perhaps the greatest gift of yoga is that I am always content being where I am at. I challenge myself but I never force myself to do something I'm not ready for. And it is the one space in my life where I am not judgmental of my weaknesses. I feel more confident about who I am and I feel more at peace with where I am at in my life right now. Yoga has been a definite grace in my life. Thanks to all of you for continuing to inspire me!

No comments:

Post a Comment